Canon Speedlites enable you to take creative control of lighting in ways that are impossible to do with daylight or continuous LEDs. Freezing a moment in time is just the start.
"Being able to separate the exposure for the background and for the subject in daylight, overpower the sun and pop some fill-light into shadows outdoors – these are things that you can't do with normal continuous LED lights," says Canon Europe Product Marketing Specialist Mark Fensome.
Canon Speedlites are considerably more compact and manoeuvrable than equivalent continuous lights, and even entry-level Speedlites render colour to a very high level and accuracy. With advanced flash features such as high-speed sync, wireless second curtain sync and wireless radio control of multiple groups, Speedlites also extend your opportunities for creative photography.
But how do you choose the best Canon flashgun that suits your needs? What are the features that matter? Here, we suggest some of the best Speedlite options to consider.
- For high performance and action: Canon Speedlite EL-1
- For creative portraiture, weddings and events: Canon Speedlite EL-5
- For everyday photography: Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT
- For flash beginners: Canon Speedlite EL-100
- For macro photography: Canon Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX II
- For professional creative macro: Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-26EX-RT
- Comparison: EL-1 vs EL-5